Dec 22, 2007

Hang On

Chance undressed Cam and kissed her, tying cords around her wrists. His knots were bulging eyesores but to him, they were necessary. He made her come, then climbed onto a cloud to orchestrate her life from above.

Eventually Cam’s arms grew sore and she thrashed and wriggled till she crashed into a friend, named Bea. This got Bea’s attention so she said: “Please help me, I’m tired of barely touching the ground.”

Bea rushed home and returned with more rope. She got on her knees, tied the rope around Cam’s feet, explaining: “I can carry you for a while, while you try to untie his knots.” Out of gratitude, Cam paid Bea’s bills.

It wasn’t long before Cam’s back grew sore from hanging like a roast pig. Bea’s unsteady handling gave Cam headaches. She fought with Chance’s knots but could only chew out small threads. She was rapidly losing hope.

Cam met a man named Cory, who had a flawless smile. She said: “Please help me, neither of my puppeteers seem to really know what I need.”

Cory rushed home and returned with a pair of scissors. He cut Cam out of the ropes and she fell hard on the ground. He undressed her and kissed her. Out of gratitude, she didn’t stop him. She didn’t come.

When Cory finished, he redressed and went home. Cam laid in a heap. She’d been hanging so long, she’d forgotten how to walk.

When I found Cam, Chance was hunched over her. His back was to me. He was retying the ropes, trying to keep Cam’s mouth covered. In her eyes I saw desperation. I snuck up silently and snatched up one end of the rope. I wrapped it around his neck quicker than he could react. He passed out and hit the ground hard.

I uncovered Cam’s mouth and she told me her story. Rivers ran from her eyes so I dried them with my sleeve and I cut her off: “Hang on.” She cringed at my poor word choice.

I rushed home and returned with a pair of metal crutches. I said: “It’s your life and with these, you’ll be in control and be forced to relearn to walk on your own. They are all the help you need, so for your own sake please take them from me.”

I stayed with her as she struggled to stand. She asked: “Will you walk with me a while?”

No comments: